Friday, January 27, 2012

Rest in peace my friend

According to my son, Redd was a legend in his own right.  He was pure Siberian Husky, born in southern California November 1996.  He loved traveling to the Sierras, and he followed our son, Tim when he moved to Alaska.  Redd also traveled and moved with Tim to Portland, Oregon as well as Saranac Lake, New York.  When Tim moved back home here in San Jose back in 2007, he had in tow with him two dogs, Redd and Mick.  We lost Mick to kidney failure just last year.  She was only 10 years old.  But Redd was able to celebrate his 15th birthday just a couple months ago.  That is good for a husky.  Unfortunately, Redd had his health problems, and as he aged it was getting more difficult for him to fight off his health issues.  This past couple of months have been difficult for us because Redd couldn't keep any food down.  And he continued to lose weight.  In the last couple of weeks he lacked interest in eating and he continued to go downhill.  So, yesterday, Thursday, January 26, 2012, my husband had to take him to the vet to euthanize him.  Redd will be sorely missed, as well as all the rest of our pets who have gone on before us.  Rest in peace Redd.

6 comments:

Mary said...

Redd was a gorgeous dog. Unfortunately there comes a time when we must say goodbye to our canine companions.

Our Alaskan malamute, Meeko, only lived to 8 years old. I know how heartbroken you must be. He will always hold a special place in your hearts, as Meeko does in ours.

Mary

Mary C said...

Thanks, Mary. We had our own (another) husky who we had to say goodbye to all too soon that we had adopted when he was 5 yrs old, and we lost him when he was ten. We lost him back in 2007. My son's other dog was an "Alaskan" husky (in other words a 50% pure husky and the rest was another breed). We lost her about a year ago (I think Feb 2011) to kidney failure. So we have certainly had our hearts broken quite a few times in the last several years. And as you said, they all hold a special place in our hearts, and certainly not to be forgotten.

Larry said...

Sorry about your dog.I know it was a while ago but I'm sure you still miss him.

Mary C said...

Hi Larry - good to hear from you. Thank you for the condolences. Redd was the last of 3 huskies to pass on, although the last 2 really were my adult son's dogs who lived here with us since my son moves around a lot. But you are right that we still miss Redd, and we still miss the other two dogs, too.

Mary said...

Mary, I'm very late to say I'm sorry. Losing a pet is the worst.

Mary

Mary C said...

Mary - it's so good to hear from you. I saw your tribute to Chloe and my heart goes out to you, too. You're right that losing a pet is the pits. Even though Redd (and Mick) were my son's dogs, they lived with us for the past 6-7 years, so they did feel like they were our dogs, too, especially since we cared for them in my son's absence. Have you found another playmate for Bella? Or will she be an "only child?" At the moment we are down to 5 cats and 0 dogs, but my husband would like to get another dog someday.

 

Current skin is MC Winter 08 and designed by Red.
Best viewed on Firefox at 1024x768, larger or widescreen.